Sunday, July 14, 2013

Resuming hostilities

Boffin Dan and I were bottling home-brew this afternoon.  

It may yet turn out that this is not the ideal way to prepare for a match against the Smurfs - scheduled for Wednesday night this week, after a three-week hiatus.  Still, we're good at it, and home brewing - unlike soccer - is something we're going to get better with over time.  So we're playing to our strengths. 

I'd be very happy if our red ale tastes anything like this one:

But outside, it's been raining for 48hrs.  There were torrents of water down the streets this afternoon, and I'm pretty sure that the pitch will be under water.  (The web tells me that Mt William, not far away in the Grampians,  had the most rain in the state 'til 0900 today, with 70mm in 24 hours).  It's shaping up to be a low-skill, high-risk slog against the team-to-beat of this year's competition.  

Yes, the Boffins have relinquished that mantle.  As a team, we're bigger, slower, older and - I think it must be said - less skilled.  

I don't really know how to put a good spin on this.  I'm worried, and I'm not ready to go out on the pitch again.  

I'm hoping for a cancellation.  

I'd rather stay at home and brew.

Fire me up, somebody!

Andrew

No comments:

Post a Comment